Mould Allergy - Mould Allergy Learning Centre
Mould (or mold) is a naturally occurring substance as it is an integral part of the outdoor environment and it plays a large role in the breakdown of leaves, wood, and other plant debris. When it grows indoors however, it can have serious health consequences. Moulds are a type of fungus, which need moisture to grow; as such they are found in damp and poorly ventilated areas. Potential sources of moisture include leaking pipes, leaking roofs and windows, and floods. Most moulds gather their food from dead moist organic matter such as wood, paper, fabric, dust, plant soil, and cooked or raw food; however, they can also grow on the surface of damp materials such as glass. Moulds spread by releasing thousands of tiny spores into the air and these spores are a source of indoor air pollution, which lead to mould allergy.